Government spokesperson and Abura Asebu-Kwamankese MP, Felix Kwakye Ofosu, has defended President John Dramani Mahama’s decision not to appoint a substantive Defence Minister, insisting that Ghana’s defence sector continues to operate effectively despite the vacancy.
Speaking during an interview on JoyNews’ PM Express programme on Monday with host Evans Mensah, Mr Kwakye Ofosu stated that there has been no disruption to the country’s security architecture under the current arrangement.
His comments come after questions were raised about why President Mahama has yet to nominate a permanent Defence Minister despite previously suggesting that an appointment would be made after Christmas.
Responding to the issue, Mr Kwakye Ofosu maintained that the timing of ministerial appointments remains entirely at the discretion of the President.
“Any day that the President communicates to me that he has appointed a Defence Minister, I’ll make it known to you,” he stated.
The government spokesperson argued that the absence of a substantive minister has not negatively affected the operations of the Defence Ministry or Ghana’s national security systems.
“But I think that by and large, we have held the fort, and the government has functioned effectively. There’s not been any lapses, as far as I know, in terms of Ghana’s defence architecture,” he said.
According to him, conditions within the defence sector have instead improved in recent months, particularly in the area of military equipment acquisition and operational readiness.
“Indeed, things appear to be improving on that front because they are acquiring additional firepower in terms of their equipment and retooling, and all that is going quite well,” he added.
Mr Kwakye Ofosu further suggested that the current arrangement may even be beneficial to the ministry’s operations because the acting leadership structure allows for closer coordination with government financing.
He explained that the Finance Minister currently overseeing the ministry in an acting capacity is well-positioned to ensure that defence-related funding and procurement processes move efficiently.
“Perhaps it helps that the man who has to bankroll it is also the one who is in the acting capacity at the Defence Ministry. So everything is on track,” he remarked.
He stressed that any operational challenge within the ministry could not simply be attributed to the absence of a standalone Defence Minister.
“If there is any lapse, that’s not because there is not a standalone Defence Minister at any time,” he stated.
When host Evans Mensah pointed out that the prolonged vacancy is unprecedented following the passing of former Defence Minister Edward Omane Boamah, Mr Kwakye Ofosu reiterated that the decision on when to appoint a substantive minister rests solely with President Mahama.
“As I’ve indicated, it is the President’s prerogative to appoint ministers, and once he deems it necessary to do so at any moment, he will communicate it to me, and I will communicate it to you,” he said.
The spokesperson again reassured the public that the ministry remains stable and under experienced leadership.
“I want to stress that the Defence Ministry continues to be in safe hands and it continues to be in experienced hands, and it is running smoothly,” he noted.
He added that recent military investments and equipment acquisitions demonstrate that the ministry continues to strengthen Ghana’s security capabilities and operational preparedness.
“Their fortunes have even begun to improve over the last few months because they are acquiring equipment that is necessary to keep them up to speed in terms of operational readiness and the ability to defend our territorial integrity,” he explained.
Mr Kwakye Ofosu concluded by stressing that President Mahama would appoint a substantive Defence Minister whenever he considers it necessary.
“So all is well on that front, and as of when the President deems it necessary to do so, he would do so,” he concluded.
